PASSION FRUIT VANILLA SLICE
Prep and cooking time: 1 hr
(+refrigeration and cooling time)
• 3 sheets puff pastry, just thawed
• 1.25 litres (5 cups) milk
• 1 medium (140g) lemon
• 1 vanilla bean or 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 12 egg yolks
• 1 cup (220g) castor sugar
• 2/3 cup (100g) cornflour
• 100g butter, chopped, softened
• 11/2 cups (240g) icing sugar mixture
• 2 passion fruits (granadillas)
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C (200°C
fan-forced). Line an oven tray with
2. Place one sheet of pastry on the tray
and prick with a fork; top with a sheet
of baking paper and another oven
tray. Bake for 20 min or until golden
brown. Repeat with remaining sheets.
3. Place the milk in a saucepan. Peel
six strips of rind thinly from the lemon,
avoiding the pith. Split the vanilla
bean lengthways and scrape out seeds.
Add vanilla bean and seeds or extract
to milk. Bring to the boil and remove
from heat. Strain into a jug.
4. Using an electric mixer, beat the
egg yolks and sugar for 3 min, or until
pale and thick. Add cornflour and beat
5. Beat half the hot milk into the eggs
on low speed. Return the egg mixture
to the saucepan with the remaining
milk and bring just to the boil,
whisking constantly – the custard will
thicken considerably. Lower the heat
and cook 2-3 min, beating constantly
and making sure the custard doesn’t
catch and burn. Remove from heat and
continue to beat to release heat. Cool
to ‘blood temperature’ (a little warmer
than room temperature). Beat in butter.
6. Place one pastry sheet on a baking
paper-lined board; spread with half the
custard. Repeat layers with remaining
pastry sheets and custard. Cover, and
refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
7. Sift icing sugar into a large bowl;
stir in passion fruit pulp. Add 1 tsp
water to make a spreadable consistency.
Spread over slice; refrigerate until firm.
8. To serve, cut into 10 pieces using
a serrated knife.
NOT SUITABLE FOR FREEZING OR